Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Yard Sales

I love yard sales. I love everything about them. I love a good deal, I love the friendly faces that greet me when i arrive, I love running into people i know, I love noticing what people try to get rid of, and I love to see how things are priced.

But something strange may happen when you yard sale -- you end up with things that you did not need in the first place. Yes, they were a great deal, but... did you really need them?

So i have a few guidelines that i follow when i yard-sale:

1. I set an amount of money each Saturday and i am not allowed to go over it (usually $5, but most times i barely even go over $2).
2. I try to incorporate my yard sale route with other errands, this way i make the best use out of my gas money and get other things done at the same time (this also prevents me from feeling guilty if i don't buy anything).
3. I say "no" to an item if i know that the only reason why i picked it up was because it was a good deal.
4. And lastly, i keep a mental list of the things i am looking out for and stick to it. This last one has become particularly difficult since every other yard sale i've been to recently has had cute little girl clothes. I can proudly say that i am yet to purchase anything for my little girl at a yard sale :)

A few items that are on my mental list are:

- Maternity clothes
- A crock pot
- A small lamp shade that matches our living room
- Clothes pins
- Thank you cards
- Decoration related items for the house.

Here are a few pics of great buys i've found at yard sales / estate sales:

Three veggie (already framed) pics.


More framed pics, a lamp and one picture frame.


By far, one of my best finds - a GREAT bookshelf! Only $5 :)


Sunflower decorative plate.


Another lovely picture frame.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow!! i need to take note on tips on estate sale shopping!!