Sunday, July 03, 2011

Reusable grocery bags


A few months ago I began posting ways in which B and I have "gone green" over the past few years. A trip to Mexico and back later, and here I am, with full intentions of finishing my "green series."

A review:
- Hanging clothes to dry
- Using a recycling bin
- Ford focus vs. Tahoe

The fourth way in which B and I have "gone green" is by using reusable grocery bags.

I will go ahead and say this: I hate plastic bags! I hate them with a passion. I hate them so much that if I am already half way on my way to the store and realize I don't have them, I will turn around and go back home to get them.

Why do I hate them so much? Glad you asked. They take too much room when storing them, I always seem to accumulate way too many, they are terrible for the environment, and they tear easily.

Just like with our previous "going green" ways, there is also a selfish factor involved in using reusable grocery bags, but this one is by far the most selfish one.

A few of the many advantages I've found in using these bags:
- They don't take a lot of room to store.
- It's better for the environment.
- Because they don't tear like plastic ones do, bag boys will put more things in them, and hence, less bags to carry.
- Because I don't have as many bags to carry, I don't have to make as many trips between the car to my kitchen when I get home. During my pre-pregnancy days I would strap them on both my shoulders and hands all at once and would make ONE trip between the car and kitchen.

2 comments:

karina Huchim Sel said...

Despues de haber leĆ­do esta parte de tu blog me hiciste pensar mucho en mi responsabilidad en cuidar este hermoso reino de Dios,y bueno igual comence a hacer algo de verde de mi parte =)ya lo publicare saludos Lau y espero te vaya muy bien en tu cita con el doc =)

MOM said...

CONGRATS LO!!

I hope that some day SOON the people in Merida "will get it"!! I flaunt my reusable bags and boxes in my grocery cart, but to date I have not seen ONE other person rejecting plastic. It is really bothering me!!!! I CANNOT STAND WATCHING people have their groceries packed in PLASTIC!!!!