Monday, May 23, 2011

Hanging clothes to dry


I am not en eco-nut, I am not an Al Gore fan, I don't believe that we will drown in water b/c of the melting of the poles, and I don't go around nagging people about recycling.

But i am a steward of this world, and i do believe that it's my job and responsibility to take care of it.

So in recent months B and i have (unintentionally) agreed to make some smart changes to help planet Earth.

A list of these things are:
- Hanging some clothes to dry outside
- Using a recycling bin for paper, plastic and cans.
- Driving my little Ford Focus instead of his Tahoe when going places together.
- Using reusable bags when grocery shopping.
- Leaving the house slightly colder over the winter and slightly warmer over the summer.

So, what do we hang and what don't we hang to dry? We only hang things that take longer to dry in the drier. For example, towels, cloths, and jeans. I choose not to hang the rest of things b/c it's not time efficient. Hanging every single sock and underwear would take an awful long time to do and would eventually discourage me.

The nice thing is that there is some reward in doing this (aside from the clear conscience). I've read that it costs about 50 cents to use the dryer for 45 minutes. If i hang one load per week for 2/3 of the year, that is 33 times a year, i am essentially "saving" $16.50 per year. Not much, but enough to go out on a few ice cream or coffee dates :)

No comments: