Wednesday, May 07, 2014

WHY-Wednesday: Why I wake before my kids do?

Yes, I really, really, really do wake up before my kids do.

Every.Single.Day.

Monday through Sunday.

At 6 AM.

No exceptions.

And will continue to do so until the day I die.

Best thing I do all day.  PERIOD.

Emma does not get out of bed until her light clock turns green at 7:15 AM, and Baby Byron can normally stay in his crib until that time on most mornings.  He may need some intervention every now and then-- nurse, turn on his mobile, change his diaper, etc.  But most often than not, I can get him to stay in his crib until 7:15 AM as well.

But why, why, whyyyy do I do this?

Let me take you back in time a little--

Eight+ months ago, our sweet little second-born blessed our lives with his presence.  Baby Byron turned my (what seemed to me to be) perfect world upside down.  I was now constantly tired and unable to sleep when I wanted to, had no guaranteed down time, I was resentful towards my children and my life in general, I could never do anything in peace, my house was always a mess, etc etc etc.

One Friday, while having lunch with some friends, I asked one of my mama friends, who is the mother of three young boys and whose husband is a medical resident (aka-- she is a single mother), if things ever got easier.  

She said:  "No, I still feel like I am constantly sucking for air."

Me:  (great!)

Friend:  "I've just have had to come to terms with that fact, and I better just learn to be good at it.  You know?  Something that has helped me a lot is to wake up before my kids do."

And that was that.  No explanation, no reason why.  She just said it and that was that.
In desperation, I decided to try it the following day.  

Alarm went off at 6:05 AM, got out of bed, did my own thing until 7:15 AM, and have never once looked back.

The thing with waking up before the kids do, is that it gives you control over one thing in your life-- your wake up time.  There is absolutely nothing worse (for me) than being woken up by someone else.  I can tolerate the alarm clock better than a child simply because they at least have a snooze button.

It also gives you time in the morning to lunge around in your slippers, drink a cup of coffee, read, plan your day, send some emails, write some letters, have your quiet time, journal, etc.  The sky is the limit.

Think I'm crazy?  Give it a try.  I dare you to :)  And let me know how it goes... :)

1 comment:

Jenny Logan said...

Lauren, I read your post here and decided I had to have that clock. I love love love it and my kid does, too! Thank you for recommending it. Today is day one of me getting up before her and so far so good. It even has a nap function! Thanks!