Wednesday, May 21, 2014

WHY-Wednesday: Why I loved "Moms' Night Out"

(If you don't know what movie I am talking about, please click here for the trailer.  And just as a heads up, the trailer does not do it justice.  When I first saw it, it did not appeal to me one bit)

Have you ever watched a movie and thought to yourself:  "this would have been the perfect movie had it not been for all the (unnecessary) swearing or sex-scenes"?

Moms' Night Out is that movie!  They finally made one.  A very funny and touching movie... without the bad language or unnecessary sex-scenes.  I laughed so hard and cried so much.  Did not know those two could go so well together.

Now, before I move on, let me get something out there in the open, just so you know where I am coming from--  I am NOT a fan of Facing the Giants or Fireproof.  These are what people call "Christian movies."  They are cheesy and unrealistic (in my opinion).  The Gospel is being presented and "shoved-down" our throats in the most awkward moments.  And forget about the predictability.  Extremely predictable.  In addition to preaching (in my opinion) the "prosperity gospel."
"It's the difference between a Christian movie and a movie made by Christians" -- a friend said. 

Moms' Night Out was a movie made by Christians, not the other way around.

Also--

*  It was real.  The humor was not overly exaggerated, and was relatable.

*  I am not laughing at them, but laughing with them-- you know what I mean?

* Sean, the husband of the main character (Allie), is a wonderful man.  Played by Lord of the Rings' hobbit Sean Astin, he comes across a loving, caring, and wonderful husband and father.  A fresh take to the looser, dumb, worthless, jerk father/husband-like figure Hollywood is portraying in their movies these days.

*  The plot is very well made.  It is funny and complex, all at the same time.  A combination between Steve Carell's Date Night and Steve Martin's Father of the Bride.

*  I love how the bottom-line message of this story did not come through the "perfect" stay-at-home mom, but through a single, hard-working mother.

*  It moved me.  And I think that every mother who is still "in the trenches" with little ones will be moved as well.  It penetrated my heart in an unexpected way.

*  It encouraged me to view and love the beauty of my every-day mess.

I encourage everyone who is wanting more of these kinds of movies to go out and watch it at the "big theater" (opposed to waiting for it to come out at the Dollar Theater or Redbox).

We've got to VOTE with our wallet.

ps-- this is a movie that both mothers AND fathers of all ages will enjoy, not just something to watch with your mama-friends.

1 comment:

MOM said...

hmm. . . I hadn't heard about this movie. I wonder if it is in Mexico.