Wednesday, May 14, 2014

WHY-Wednesday: Why I make my own yogurt?

Did you know that making yogurt at home is one of the most fool-proof things to do?


It's a close second only to making your own peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

And best of all, it's incredibly impressive.
"why yes, I do make my own yogurt!" -- you say.

Just think about how awesome you would sound saying those words :)  And at the cost of hardly no effort!  (or money!)
Of course, if you are not a yogurt-eating person, then there is no point to it.  But if you're like me and use it in your morning smoothies in order to benefit from its probiotics, then this is a no-brainer.  You've gotta do it!

Okay, okay... so it really isn't that easy.  There is a bit of a learning curve, and different people do it differently.  But once you have found your style for doing it, it truly, truly, truly is incredibly easy!  I pinky promise :)

For example, all you need are two ingredients:  milk and live culture (which is just a fancy word people use for leftover yogurt).

This is not a how-to blog, so I'll spare you from the countless pictures that go along with a how-to post.  What I'll do instead is point you in the direction of my college-friend Marilee.

Take a few minutes to take a look at Marilee's post here if you want to learn more about making your own yogurt.

This post was mostly inspirational and a rough guide for me.  I actually do it quite differently than Marilee.  If this is something that interests you, I would encourage you to watch a few YouTube how-to videos and maybe a blog post or two on it.  My process for making yogurt is actually more like this one.

I use a whole gallon of 2% milk and use a cheese cloth to strain it at the end for about 20 minutes (save the whey!).  I also whisk it until smooth at the very end and store it in two large store-bought yogurt containers.

Anyway, for what it's worth... I love making my yogurt!  And you will too :)

**** Update Sunday, May 25, 2014****
My how-to post on how to make homemade yogurt.

1 comment:

MOM said...

Yes, it's such a no-brainer. The problem is eating it fast enough so that your leftover is still good enough to make the next batch.