Friday, August 10, 2012

Cheap food even cheaper


I love being in the kitchen.  I love being able to stretch a buck by being efficient in it.  So I've compiled a list of things I have learned to make, instead of purchase, over the past few years. 

Beans.  According to Melissa D'Arabian, you can make your own beans using dried beans, soaking them, cooking them, then separating them into four ziplock bags and freezing them, making them the equivalent to four cans of beans for only 25% of the canned value (that is, 75% off).  (Watch her video here).  Huge savings on an already chap ingredient.  I normally make 2 lbs at a time, giving me the equivalent of 8 cans of beans for only $2. 
Sandwich bread.  This one took some time to learn and get the hang of, but now that I have, I love it!  Again, an already inexpensive ingredient can be made even cheaper once you do it yourself.  I make two loaves at a time, slice them, keep half of a loaf out, then freeze the rest.  I take half a loaf at a time.
Chicken stock.  When chicken is on sale (like 99 cents a pound), I buy several pounds and season them with salt and pepper and dump them all in the crock pot and let them cook away.  I then let them cool and shred them.  Place them in ziplock bags and freeze them.  This way I don't have to deal with raw chicken each time I want to put chicken in a casserole dish.  Anyway, all that to say is that by the end of that process, you are left with lots of yummy chicken juices at the bottom of the pot.  Just add some water, toss some carrots, celery sticks and the chicken bones and simmer away overnight.  You'll have wonderful chicken stock waiting for you in the morning.
Cream of chicken.   I wrote a post on this once.  Granted, it's not as creamy and salty as the canned ones, but work just as well.  (Probably much healthier as well).
Ice cream.  Yes, that's right, ice cream!  Though I will say this -- making your own ice cream comes out more expensive than buying it.  By the time you buy the whole cream and whatever other ingredient that will go into it, you are looking at spending at least $5 by the time you are finished (my strawberry ice cream I made the other day cost $7).  But it is sooooooooo good!
Baby food.  This is a no brainer.  You may as well be throwing your money away by buying baby food.  And no fancy appliances needed here, just a good blender and some ice trays.  Also, making your own baby food is much healthier.
Granola.  You can read my post and recipe for this here.   I love to always have this on hand to toss over my oatmeal, cold cereal, or blend in a smoothie.  Makes for a great gift as well.
Pancakes/waffles.  It takes an additional 15 seconds to make your pancakes/waffles from scratch than to buy the boxed mix.  I am not kidding!  There are countless recipes for this online, so have fun finding one you like :)

On the radar:  I'd like to begin making my own yogurt.

What do you make instead of buy?

3 comments:

MOM said...

Very reader-friendly. Congrats! I am amazed that my math daughter has entered in what was once my corner of expertise. Keep writing!

Lauren said...

Thanks for sharing how you do the dried black beans! We eat soooo many, and although I already buy the cans in bulk, I know doing them myself will be even cheaper. :)

TDB said...

Fun read! Baby food was a huge make myself. Fruit Roll Up/Strips are the new favorite of Will and easy to make at home, and healthier too!