Monday, June 16, 2008

Looking back to the past year

Today Byron and I celebrate our one year wedding anniversary. It seems like it was just yesterday, but at the same time it seems like it was ages ago.

So much has happened in the past year. From one day to the other i went from being a student whose greatest responsibility was passing her classes, to a full time teacher and a housewife. I was suddenly in charge of cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, laundry, lesson planning and teaching. At first, it was nuts!! I remember the first time i went grocery shopping i ended up buying 2 kg of meat!!!! One time i forgot to check the jean pockets and ended up doing laundry with my chap stick. So you can imagine how our clothes was when i took it out of the dryer :s

But eventually things got under control. I learned how to shop for food and how to do it only once a week instead of 2 to 3 times a week. I learned how to organize myself time-wise, and teaching got under control after many frustrating mornings at school.

Of course, one of the most defining things that i went through this year was my dad passing away. I always knew that my dad would pass away sooner than later -- he had survived many scares. But i guess whenever the time comes for someone you love to leave, you are never ready and it is always too soon, regardless of how ready you are. Since we got married, my dad had been in the hospital on two occasions for about a month each time. I loved my dad so much!!! His love for my sister and i was so evident. He would rejoice doing anything with us: going out to eat, having us over to his house, laying next to him in bed, and even giving us our allowance, even after i got married. It will be 7 months tomorrow since he died. His absence is evident each day.


But all of this, one way or the other, has been a crucial part of my life. I've grown so much!! Of course, there are things that you wish would have never happened, but I'm a different person now. At age 23 i can say that i am right where i want to be and pleased with the life God has allowed me to walk through.

1 comment:

Byron said...

Hey Sweety :p
I really enjoy your blogs! What a year it has been for us! We really hit the ground running; and we have come so far. As always, I love you just a little bit more each day and I look forward to many more years of that.
Happy Feliz Anniversario!
Your Loving Husband