Wednesday, August 20, 2014

WHY-Wednesday: On Ferguson-- why you should care (guest post).

My dear friend Sarah agreed to write a guest post for me this week while I continue enjoying my "break" from blogging.  Sarah is one of the most well-rounded people I know, full of incredibly practical knowledge, who loves and cares for people, and who also loves the Lord.  I consider it an honor that she would even consider me to be one of her friends.

She has kindly poured of herself into this post, spending countless hours of her precious time writing this.  Please take the time to read and share.  

I must confess (much to my shame) that I knew very little over this problem at Ferguson.  I live a very secluded life at home.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Sarah!

***

When Lauren asked me last week to write a guest blog post for her, I assumed I would write about something predictable like raising a little foodie or my thrifting lifestyle.  But as the unrest and violence in my city has reached new heights, I decided I needed to blog on #Ferguson.
ferg2.jpg
I’ve had a lot of people call or text asking if we are safe.  The heartbreaking story of Ferguson is literally being reported on every facet of the news media 24 hours a day.Two days ago, there were 7.8 MILLION reported tweets about Ferguson with the number reaching over 10 million today. Our country is consumed by the news story.  Most people--if they are being honest-- have taken a side.  You are either on #handsupdontshoot or you are on #Waittillyougetthefacts. Protestor or a Peacemaker.  White or Black.

I’ve spent a tremendous amount of time thinking about inequality, race, love and respect.  I am not going to pretend like I have the answers or that I fully understand racial tension in America because I know that this issue is bigger than me. However, I do know that as Christians we know that our problem always is sin.

As a Christian, here are some ways I am responding to #Ferguson:

1. First and foremost, I am going to pray. We have a responsibility to pray for “all people” (1 Timothy 2:1), without prejudice.  Desiring God Ministries posted a wonderful prayer suggestion on their website in an article by Phillip (@PhillipMHolmes). Phillip is an itinerant preacher, co-founder and Vice President of the Reformed African American Network:

Pray for Ferguson, Missouri. Pray for peace to be restored in this city. Pray for Michael Brown’s family as they mourn the loss of their loved one. Pray that if they don’t know our Lord Jesus, that they would come to know him through this tragedy. And pray that if they do know Jesus, he would give them peace that surpasses all understanding.

Pray for the officer involved in this shooting. Pray for honesty and justice. Pray that if he doesn’t know Jesus as Lord that God would use this tragedy to save him. Pray that if he is a Christian that the Lord would grant him wisdom as he navigates this process. Pray that God would protect him and his loved ones.

Pray for the church in Ferguson. Pray that they would be a true city on a hill. Pray that they would point the world to the One who, one day soon, will restore justice and peace for all time.

2. Avoid blasting opinions on Social Media. This week has proven to be an incredibly challenging exercise in restraint as I’ve read some inaccurate, harmful and inciting posts by my “friends” on Facebook.  As this NY Times article points out, “You know you can’t win a Twitter fight. You can never win an argument with someone on social media”.   I want to practice engaging not broadcasting.

3. Show gratitude to the men and women serving on the front lines.   I have several friends in St. Louis who have husbands, brothers or dads on the police force.  I can assure you that these families are hurting too.  Just like it is unfair to lump all of the thousands of peaceful protestors in the same category as the dozen or so "thugs" who are using the tragedy surrounding Mike Brown’s passing to commit crimes, it is also unfair to call all cops "dirty" because of a few who have acted unjustly and violently. Many of these men and women providing service to our city live in Ferguson and send their kids to Ferguson schools.  This week, one of my friends told me that she truly fears for her husband’s life every time he walks out the door.

I have made it my mission this week to personally thank every service member that I pass on the street. Two words… “Thank you” ...can make such a difference.  I stopped a young man yesterday at the grocery store to thank him for his service to the city.  He looked confused at first as I could tell it had been a while since anyone told him thanks.   His whole demeanor changed and he seemed so grateful for the kind words.  

Amelia Earhart is famous for saying, “No kind action ever stops with itself. One kind action leads to another. Good example is followed. A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees. The greatest work that kindness does to others is that it makes them kind themselves”.

4. I am looking for ways to serve the children. My heart hurts to think of the (more than 11,000) kids who are missing ANOTHER week of school because of the unrest in their community.  Many of these kids depend on their schools for breakfast and lunch and are having to find another way to eat. Experts on childhood trauma and development are concerned that children who are witnessing the nightly protests could have long lingering effects.

There is a new movement to bring attention to the kids in Ferguson on Twitter. The question was asked, "What are you worried about for kids in ferguson?" and people are responding with things like "I am worried about #Kidsin #Ferguson not going to school because of the fighting. For this to gain momentum,  include the # (called a hashtag) before BOTH the words Kidsin and Ferguson.

There is an urgent need in the community for diapers and wipes since parents are unable to safely leave their homes to purchase them.  St. Louis Children’s Hospital is collecting them and will help distribute them to parents in need. Baby blankets and comfort items like stuffed animals and books are also being collected.

I also read about amazing teachers volunteering their time at Public Libraries to help Ferguson students who want to learn despite not having school.  

5. Read things that matter. I had to cut myself off today from all of the flashy headlines.   The Huff Post, NY Times, St Louis Dispatch have all played into my desire to stay up to the minute on this story. My new commitment is to read articles that are enlightening or spark positive change. I put links below to some articles that I’ve personally found stimulating.

** End Note** I recognize that I picked a VERY controversial topic to write about. Please know that this was written in LOVE.  If I have offended you in any way, please send me a private message so that we can start a dialog.


For further reading:



http://www.christianethicstoday.com/cetart/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.main&ArtID=417

4 comments:

Anna B said...

Wise words, Sarah! The Miller study specifically prayed for your family and this situation last week and you have been on my heart and mind since! Thank you for this message. I've truly been surprised by the number of people here that have no idea of the gravity and magnitude of the situation in Ferguson

Anna B said...

Please let us know how we may be able to get baby items to the children's hospital. Contact person? Address? I'd be happy to send diapers/wipes etc that can be distributed.

Laurie said...

I asked Lauren to tell me what you wrote (ha ha) and she told me, "You just have to read it, mom". That was wise advice. You organized your points clearly and made convincing statements. I am glad I read this! Thanks!

Laurie said...

I asked Lauren to tell me what you wrote (ha ha) and she told me, "You just have to read it, mom". That was wise advice. You organized your points clearly and made convincing statements. I am glad I read this! Thanks!