Friday, February 07, 2014

Baby Byron's first solids

Since I cloth diaper and exclusively breastfeed my children, I normally try to hold off solids as long as possible (dirty diapers of exclusively breastfed babies do not need to be rinsed, btw).  With Emma, I waited until she was 6.5 months old before we fed her for the first time.  

But with Baby Byron, things went a little differently.  First of all, at around his 5 month birthday, my hunger was CEASELESS!  Now matter how much or how often I ate, I would never become satisfied.  I would spend most of my waking time either thinking about what I could eat, or in the kitchen eating.  

The second thing that motivated me to feed BB solids early on was the fact that he does not poop!  I kid you not-- I don't think he has had more than a dozen BMs in two months.  The doctor suggested I give him some apple juice to help him out a little, but our little man does not take a bottle *SIGH***

So what am I to do?!?!  Apple sauce.  So at 5.5 months old, our little man enjoyed his first experience with grown up food.


He liked it!  

Unlike with Emma, I decided that with Byron I was not going to feed him anything I would not be willing to eat myself (no baby food, or rice cereal, or nasty purees, etc).  His first experience with food was some apple sauce from a pouch (Emma eats these herself).  I have since also given him mashed sweet potatoes.

He still does not know how to eat much, and we still do not feed him every day.  Only when we feel he needs some help using the bathroom.  We can normally get about a tablespoon of food in his system each time.

And just like with everything we do these days, Emma needs to be part of the experience.  So our firstborn regressed.  Instead of eating her apple sauce pouch through the opening like she normally does, she wanted to use a spoon like her baby brother.


I still sometimes wonder if she really is left-handed.

3 comments:

OMA said...

These were all for laughs!!! Good text too. This may sound unreal, but I think my FAVORITE photo of Baby Byron is the one where I see him in that stool, holding his feet, with apple sauce on his chin. Look at those huge eyes!! Isn't he cute? That silly Emma has regressed to be a baby girl? ha ha. She knows little brother is getting all the attention. Such cute little socks on Baby. Kisses.

Josh said...

What Emma is doing with her spoon and the food is actually really good for her, it will help her coordination. Elias didn't really start being able to use a spoon well until 3.5, so she is doing very well.

Josh said...

Ack- this is Lauren signed onto Josh's account, sorry about that.