Thursday, March 05, 2015

Everything is getting broken

Within the past 4 - 6 weeks, just about everything that can be broken in our house has been broken.  Byron the Third has seen to that.

It all started with our lasted-through-Emma reading lamp in our TV room.  The Third pushed it and it fell to the ground.  Another day a plant pot was dropped and broken.  Then Emma's piggy bank was dropped and broken as well (like I said, everything is getting broken around here).

We replaced our reading lamp within a week or so of it being dropped, and guess what happened in just a few days?


Yup, dropped and broken.  I was so frustrated, I refused to buy another one.  Luckily, right around the time this was all happening, I was reading through the awesome book The Nesting Place ("it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful" -- anyone???  A must read!).  

So I got creative, and started glue gunning (actually, it was more like "I attempted to glue gun") some parchment paper (did you know parchment paper cannot be pasted with anything???  So annoying!).  So after lots of fiddling around, I ended up with this product:


I proudly texted the picture to the Husband, and he was like:  "mmmmm, I think that's a fire hazard."  

So what's a girl to do?  I load the kids in the van and head over to Goodwill.  Find a $3 lamp shade, cut the bottom, glue gun it to the lid of a Diablo's to-go bowl, and attach it to the top.


Quite lovely.  Never mind that it's crooked, and gotty, and if you looked close enough, you can tell it's cheaply made.  But hey, it's childproof, and cheaper than spooning out another $60 bucks for something that's more than likely going to break in the next 48 hours.

#lifewithboys

3 comments:

Jim and Julianna said...

I love this post.

But oh that boy!!

Mom said...

That lamp shade is sooo funny. The good thing about this story that makes me proud of you, is that you do not live with something broken under your noses! Even it it is "chayote", the lamp is not "broken". I suggest going one step further. Having the kids decorate it with markers, paint and glitter. A good art project, and very personalized! ha ha.

Mary said...

Daniel pulled down our tall lamp in the living room also. Luckily it only broke the part that screws the base and shade together so I was able to super glue it back together. Boys are crazy! Daniel breaks things several times a week including a bracelet of mine today. I'm waiting for him to need stitches because he is a big time climber and always seems to be falling off of a table or chair.