Wednesday, October 01, 2014

WHY-Wednesday: Why I completed my Masters degree.

For most of you who know me personally, you know that a little over a year ago I completed my Masters degree in Education.  You probably also know that unless something tragic or unexpected ever happens to us, I do not plan on ever returning to the classroom. 

A little background--

I am a Math teacher by trade.  I left the classroom after four years of teaching to become a full-time stay-at-home mom.  Though teaching wasn't always perfect, I do often times miss my career and the empowerment attached to being good at it.  

But the Lord had different plans, and early in my working career He made it very clear to me that I was to give up my paycheck in order to pretend to know what I was doing by caring for my family at home.

So teaching-year number four rolls around and the time to (ahem...) try to get pregnant rolls around as well.  

If you know anything about how a teacher's salary works, you know that your salary can just about double depending on your years of experience and your level of education.  So since we didn't know whether we'd get pregnant right away or not, I began to work towards my Masters degree "just in case."

Lo and behold, we get pregnant with Emma just in time to wrap up my fourth year of teaching and with half of my Masters degree required credits completed.  

What's a girl to do?  
I know I'll never return to the classroom.
But, OH! how I hate to see those credits wasted...

Emma turns one, and thanks to my husband's kindness, the helping hands of family members, and some savings, I decide to go back and complete it.

It's now or never! -- I said. 

So back to the original question...
WHY?

You see, I'm one to believe that an education opens doors, not closes them.

Let me explain--

I meet many people who feel that because they have a career, because they've done the whole school-thing, that they must do what they were trained to do.  That it would be a waste of time and resources to do otherwise.

I don't know about you, but that doesn't make much sense to me.

My higher education provides me with the opportunity to go back to work if I want to, but does not force me into that option.

(Note:  If you are in debt because of your training - or have any kind of debt, for that matter-, and this career will provide you with the fastest way to pay it off, then well... I guess you really don't have an option after all).

My point is-- 
Given the option, never choose your career simply because you feel you have to.

No comments: