Wednesday, September 10, 2014

WHY-Wednesday: Why I lie down in the afternoons.

Okay, so this week's post may be extremely obvious to some, or a luxury to others.
But for me it's been a novelty... and revolutionary!

To lie down for my own nap in the afternoons.

You mean, I should not use my quiet to...
... catch-up around the house?
... fix dinner?
or
... fold laundry?

To rest while the kids are resting themselves?!
 ** What a waste a time! **

Right around the time I was struggling with my emotions of mild depression, I heard a friend say:
"We should not work to rest, but must be rested in order to work."

That is, we must not work ourselves so hard that we have no other option but to need rest.
Instead, we must always be rested so we can then work.

Again, this may be obvious to most, but revolutionary for me.

So now, when the kids go down for their naps at around 1 PM, I may straighten the kitchen a little, poke around Facebook for a few minutes, but shortly after I put myself in bed.  No iPad, no phone, no book.  I lie down under the covers and stay there for at least 30 minutes.  I make myself shut down.

If after 30 minutes I have not fallen asleep, I can get up and continue with my chores.  But if during that 30-minute period I do fall asleep, then I stay asleep until I wake up on my own or the kids do that for me.

I have never been a napper, but to my amazement I do end up falling asleep on most afternoons.  Which makes me wonder... 

how long have I been living this incredibly sleep-deprived life?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had no idea how much I needed a nap until I had a small child who needed them!

Mary said...

I lay down most afternoons too Lauren, it is the most glorious and peaceful part of my whole day. Sometimes I also sneak treats that I don't have to share with any!