Wednesday, April 30, 2014

WHY-Wednesday: Why I keep random things in the fridge and freezer?

Please take a look at the random items that now inhabit my fridge and freezer--

Ziplock bag of frozen banana pieces.

Why?  Banana bread.
Ziplock bag of frozen bread scrapes.

Why?  French toast casserole or breakfast casserole.
Leftover Easter ham bone that the in-laws were going to toss.

Why?  Ham stock.
Frozen grilled hotdogs that were going to be tossed after a BBQ last weekend.

Why? Weenies and beanies.

Now don't get me wrong (and my mother will be the first to attest to this), I am not afraid to throw food away.  If I know I will not be eating or using it in a recipe of some sort in the near future, I have no issue in getting rid of it. 

Other random food items you'll find in my fridge/freezer at any given point--
* Ziplock bag in the freezer that contains veggie scrapes such as onion peel, carrot ends, garlic layers (and old, dry garlic), bottom of celery head, etc.  Why?  I will later use these to make chicken stock.
* Leftover food.  Why?  If I've made enough food to feed the family for two nights and still have extra (but do not want to feed us with it again for a third time), I freeze it and use it sometime again in the future.
*  Cooked dried beans.  Why?  Canned beans are already cheap, but cooking your own dry beans is even cheaper.  This is a no brainer-- cook them all at once, freeze them in separate smaller containers, and thaw and use in the future when a recipe calls for them.
* Milled wheat flour.  Why?  I've started milling my own flour to make my own whole wheat bread (I know, crazy!  I may just have too much time on my hands).  If there is any leftover flour, I place it in the freezer to keep it from loosing its nutritional value, and just use later when making pancakes or cookies or something.
* Chopped veggies.  Why?  If I see that green peppers, for example, are on clearance... well, hellooooo veggie-I-never-buy-bc-you're-too-expensive-- chopped and stored away in a ziplock bag for later use.

And there are many more.  

Next time you come over to my house, don't hesitate to ask what random things I have in my fridge/freezer.  You may like what you see :) Just promise not to be too shocked.

1 comment:

MOM said...

Yes, I do attest to the fact that you do throw food away. :( But I am super proud of your meal management. (And I studied that at college, imagine) Remember that time someone came to our house and saw that I froze an extra loaf of sandwich bread? That was wierd for Mexico! KEEP UP THE GREAT BLOG!!!