Saturday, October 26, 2013

No more pom!

I should have posted something about this a few weeks ago, but haven't had the chance to.  We reached a major milestone three weeks ago -- Emma said bye-bye to her pom!

About 2 months ago, soon after LB was born, she proudly bit a hole into her pom.  In panic, I had Byron run to the store to get her a pacifier.  He got a packet of two, and then told her that this would be her ultimo pom (last pacifier).  Of course, at the time she had not idea what ultimo pom meant, so we proceeded to use the next couple of days/weeks to teach her this -- ultimo grape, ultimo plate, ultimo cartoon, etc.  She got the point eventually.

Of course, the new pom lasted about 3 days, and then she really had the very last one from the packet.  By that point she had gotten the idea of what ultimo meant, so she took very good care of it.  But one day, in defiance and not wanting to give it back to me to put back into her crib, she bit a hole in it.  It couldn't have come at a worse time, because that night was a night that Byron was gone, so I was going to have to endure her first night pom-less all by myself.  

But Emma understood what had happened and accepted it well.  She did cry on and off for about 30 minutes, and then went back to sleep.  That was the last we heard of it.  She has done great without it!  It has cost me some extra down time, since now she wants to get out of her crib as soon as she wakes, where before she could stay in her crib happily for a while.  I would have been fine having her use her pom for another year or so, but because she was biting so many holes in them, we just couldn't keep up with it.  

Pom was a great companion, and a wonderful comfort to our little girl.  We are thankful for the two years he gave us :)

RIP Pom!

1 comment:

Love, MOM said...

Loved to RIP. Very creative and very interesting how you got her to understand "ultimo". Have you thought about writing a book about raising a child bilingually? It might hit the market at the right time: more awareness of the benefits of teaching children 2 languages. You could make more notes on language development in Byron as the backbone, and include Emma as the toddler example. I think you can collect material and the actual writing would be when you have more time in the future. Think about it. I loved this about the POM. I just wish I could SKYPE with my pomless granddaughter and see my BB.